The Blue Room
The Blue Room, previously known as the Symbol Room because of the concerts performed for Grand Prince Ferdinando (1663-17133), contains only a few examples of the original furnishings, along with the beautiful wall coverings, the blue French damask, and the Tournai carpet. The white and gold stuccoed ceiling and the delicate fireplace made in 1765 and called the "Eagle" fireplace, are older, from the time of Pietro Leopoldo of Lorraine (1747-1792). In order to fill the spaces left by the tapestries sent to Rome in 1922, ten full-figure Medici portraits, painted by Giusto di Sustermans between 1621 and 1645, and which hung in these same rooms during the time of Grand Prince Ferdinando, have been gathered here. The splendid wooden chandelier , carved and gilded in 1697 by the Dutch artist Vittorio Crosten for Cosimo III's country villa, "the Hovel", replaces the 1854 triton chandelier, sent to the Chamber of Deputies in Rome.