The King's Bedroom
Camera del Re
The rooms comprising the King's Apartment are more austerely furnished, although amidst an abundance of the oldest handmade articles inherited from the Medici and the Lorenese. The first room, the King's Bedroom, contains beautiful furniture in the imperial style and a number of masterpieces from the 17th century, Medici grand ducal workshops, such as the stoup and the prie-dieu, commissioned by Cosimo III for his daughter Anna Maria Luisa and designed by Giovan Battista Foggini. The refined silk lampas wall coverings with a yellow background were acquired by Ferdinando III of Lorraine during his exile in France and brought to the Pitti when he was repatriated in 1814. The canopy bed, on the other hand, was originally made for the Lorraines by Florentine artisans at the end of the 18th century and VIttorio Emaqnuele II added the Savoy coat-of-arms to the bed as a sign of new ownership.