The Queen's Sitting Room
The next room was originally the Gran Principe's "real" bedroom, and then that of the grand duchesses of the House of Lorraine. It became the Queen's Drawing Room in the Savoy period and was referred to as the Yellow Room because of the yellow silk lampas wall coverings, made in France around 1805. The carpet was purchased in France in 1815 at the Piat-Lefèvre factory in Tournai. The cabinet of ebony, ivory, alabaster and gilded bronze comes from the Medici-period furnishings. It is a successful re-adaptation of some of the oldest pieces that belonged to Cardinal Leopoldo (the small ivory sculptures and the frontal relief), done by the grand ducal workshops, under the direction of Giovan Battista Foggini, in 1704. Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoy commissioned the impressive 19th century romantic Tuscan paintings on the walls.