The Music Room
Sala della Musica
The Music Room (Sala della Musica) was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century by combining two rooms that connected the respective apartments of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess. With its Neo-Classical decoration, the room was intended for musical entertainment.
In 1813, during the Napoleonic period, it was decided to create a “first drawing room of the Emperor” here, decorated with murals depicting the Genius of France and the Napoleonic Battles. In 1814, with the restoration of the House of Lorraine, Luigi Ademollo (1764-1849) was commissioned to completely renovated the half-decorated room by creating a new theme for the fresco (Glory of the Habsburg House) on the ceiling.
In 1860 the fresco was retouched by the Savoy family by adding the Italian flag and giving it a blue mantle and the Savoy crown, thereby transforming the personification of Austria into that of Italy.The monochrome frieze, which shows the Liberation of Vienna from the Turkish Siege in 1683, effectively simulates bas-reliefs.