The Throne Room
Sala del Trono
The next room, the Red Room, was named the Throne Room when, during the Savoy era, the throne, canopy and balustrade were placed here. Earlier, during the time of Prince Ferdinando, it was used as an Audience Room; the Lorraines later used it for similar purposes (called by them the Chamberlain's Room). The French wallcoverings of silk lampas with a crimson background are matched by the beautiful carpet with spiraling acanthus leaf motifs, made by the royal factory in Tournai in 1854, along with the other carpets in the Fabric Quarter, expressly for the decoration of these rooms. The furnishings in this room date from this period, while the contemporary pair of candelabra with Japanese Imari vases is based on a 17th century model found also in the adjoining Blue Room.